Sustainable Oil Palm Project
Effects of degradation of felled OPTs in the plantation
Development of value-added products from felled OPTs
- Production of polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) – Production of bioplastic using sap obtained from felled OPTs as a main nutrient source for biosynthesis of PHA.
- Production of wood-plastic composite – Development of wood-plastic composite from combinations of shredded OPTs and purified PHA.
- Production of controlled release fertilizer – Development of controlled release fertilizer using shredded OPTs as the filler with purified PHA as the coating material.
- Abdul Hamid, Z.A., T. Arai, M.R. Sitti Fatimah, A. Kosugi, O.,Sulaiman, R.,Hashim, S. Nirasawa, T. Ryohei, B.E. Lokesh, K. Sudesh, Y. Murata. (2015) Analysis of free sugar and starch in oil palm trunks (Elaeis Guineensis Jacq.) from various cultivars as a feedstock for bioethanol production. Int. J. Green Energy. 37-41.
- Baskaran, M., R. Hashim, M. F. M. Yusoff, S. Bauk, O. Sulaiman, M. Sato, K. Sudesh. (2015) Mass attenuation coefficients of binderless and polylactic acid added oil palm trunk particleboard in the diagnostic energy range. Int. J. Adv. Sci. Eng. Inform. Technol. 5(5): 355-357.
- Paramasivam, M., P. Chhajer, A. Kosugi, T. Arai, C. J. Brigham, K. Sudesh. (2016) Production of P(3HB-co-3HHx) with controlled compositions by recombinant Cupriavidus necator Re2058/pCB113 from renewable resources. Clean Soil Air Water. 44(9):1234-1241.
- Kunasundari, B., T. Arai, K. Sudesh, R. Hashim, O. Sulaiman, N. J. Stalin, A. Kosugi. (2017) Detoxification of sap from felled oil palm trunks for the efficient production of lactic acid. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 183: 412-425.
- Bomrungnok, W., Arai, T., Sudesh, K., Hatta, T. Kosugi, A. (2019) Direct production of polyhydroxybutyrate from waste starch by newly-isolated Bacillus aryabhattai T34-N4. Environ. Technol. 1-11.
- Juanssilfero, A. B., Kahar, P., Amza, R. L., Sudesh, K., Ogino, C., Prasetya, B., Kondo, A. (2019) Lipid production by Lipomyces starkeyi using sap squeezed from felled old oil palm trunks. J Biosci. Bioeng. 127(6):726-731.